Thursday, February 01, 2007

Exploding Flour

At Stitch N' Bitch tonight, I--for reasons that escape me at the moment--brought up the topic of exploding flour. There was an important plot point in the movie Once a Thief about the explosive properties of loose flour, and I never bothered to find out if it this was fact or fiction. Thanks to the curiosity of those around me, I took the time to look it up.

Well, ladies, it's true:

"Flour dust suspended in air is explosive, as is any mixture of a finely powdered flammable substance with air[...]. Some devastating and fatal explosions have occurred at flour mills, including an explosion in 1878 at a mill in Minneapolis, the largest flour mill in the United States at the time."

There you have it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

You're a mythbuster!

I think somehow we were talking about microwave ovens, and the cannon/pigs thing (if you're on a pirate ship) and the eye patch.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Jinjifore said...

Yeah, I think you're right, that's where it started. I thought about the pirate thing just last night when I got up from my one-eye-closed pre-slumber reading to go to the bathroom and had the usual amazing night vision out of one eye.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home