Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Convention Knitting

Right. DragonCon is a week away. Well, tomorrow it will be a week away. Naturally, the most urgent, burning issue of my preparations is "What am I going to knit?"

Of my in-progress works, the St. Brigid sweater is right out. Not only is it far too large for easy toting, it's too complex for running around, roleplaying, panelling, and (most significantly) drinking. Also, I'm getting to the point where I need to take a break from it. I've made four minor mistakes in the last two repeats, nothing I even had to actually fix because they were so minor, but I'm apparently losing my will to focus on it properly. The back will done in 12 more rows, and after that I'm going to knit hats for a while. Possibly socks. Or gloves (I have a nifty idea for a glove done in heel stitch). So, St. Brigid is staying home. (Okay, I might tuck it into a wee little bag just in case...)

I'm not even going to dignify the Seaweed Afghan with an explanation.

So, it's going to be socks. Being the forethoughtful person that I am, I decided to go ahead and get both socks past the ribbing before trying to wander around knitting while walking. (The reason I started on said socks more than a week before the convention is a matter I'm going to gloss over. Let's just say it was a very close thing that I didn't show up in downtown Atlanta tomorrow and wonder where the other 25,000 people were.)

I initially cast on 76 stitches, but after a few rows I tried them on and convinced myself that they were too big. So I ripped and cast on 72 stitches. After completing 15 rows of ribbing on both socks and about as many rows of stockinette on one sock, I didn't have to do any convincing to realize that the socks were too small. So, I ripped and started over with--you guessed it--76 stitches. The really pathetic part of this story? The first thing I did was, in fact, a gauge swatch. Gauge is no proof against overthinking.

The bright side is that now I'll have time to get both socks past the ribbing before the con. And knit my mother a doily, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home