Sunday, July 23, 2006

Knitting While Sober

The St. Brigid sweater is coming along nicely. I've done three repeats of the cable pattern on the back, which translates into about 10", or about a third of the needed length.

So far, I've only screwed it up twice, and both screw-ups happened on the braided cable borders. The first time, I only had to ladder one cable back about four rows. Last night, though, I had to ladder all four dratted braids back, because I'd done the entire row wrong without noticing. Sadly, there was no alcohol involved (well, not at that point), and in fact I had virtuously set aside the sweater and switched to a sock once I started drinking.

The irony of this is that I purposely stopped knitting the cable pattern solely because the last time I did a project with that same braided border while drinking, I had had to ladder all nine cable stitches back about 30 rows to fix the same freakin' mistake I made last night while dead sober.

I'm sure there's a moral in there somewhere, and I'm not entirely sure that it's not along the lines of "it doesn't matter if you drink or not, you will find a way to screw up your knitting."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home