Sunday, June 04, 2006

Ode to Socks

I'd like to take a moment to discuss a very important matter: The awesomeness of wool socks.

Over the years, I've knitted probably twenty pairs of socks. The only pair I had knitted for myself was a nice thick worsted-weight wool pair that I wore when bitter cold demanded foot warmth.

Then, recently, I knitted myself a second pair in actual sock-weight wool yarn. I washed them and blocked them, and then, because it was, you know, summer, balled them up and put them away.

Soon after, though, my husband, for reasons known only to himself, set the thermostat to about 65 degrees and I found myself with freezing cold feet in the middle of summer. I pulled out my new socks and put them on.

Oh, my God.

They are soft. They are warm. They are comfy. And when I had to go outside in the 80 degree heat, they were still soft and comfy and--get this--not hot! I'm not saying that wool socks will be my footwear of choice all summer or anything, but my feet remained at the same pleasant warm temperature they had been inside.

So, that's it. No more store-bought cotton socks. Well, at least after I've knit some more wool ones. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home