Saturday, September 23, 2006

Holiday Knitting Tally

So far, I have completed:

  • 4 socks (please note, I did not say "2 pairs of socks." This is an important distinction.)
  • 1 hat

    It may not seem very impressive, considering that my holiday knitting list includes:

  • 10 more socks
  • 1 scarf
  • 1 hat
  • 1 set of wrist warmers

    That, or it might seem a bit premature to be knitting for the holidays in September. But my non-holiday knitting due on December 30th--a shawl for my sister's wedding--has necessitated a bit of a fore-planning this year.

    To that end, I'm going for quite a few projects with larger gauges. The finished hat, for instance, was made of Colinette Prism to the gauge of 3 stitches per inch, and took me a day to make. The socks for my nieces were 8 stitches to the inch for slightly smaller than adult-sized socks, and the socks for my stepsister are hitting about 5.5 stitches per inch. They're going pretty darn fast.

    The scarf should be a fairly quick project as well. I'm making Knitty's Branching Out in cashmere, which is a good project to get to use some really nice yarn without going bankrupt. The hat and wrist warmers will also take not a whole lot of time, and one pair of socks will be knit at a fairly large gauge. No worries there.

    It's the last three pairs of socks that will be the time-killers. I don't have elaborate plans for either of them in terms of stitch patterns, but they'll be knitted at around 8-10 stitches per inch, and that will take time. Also, two pairs have to be finished for Chanukah (gee, I wonder what Boo and Albert are getting this year?), which ends on (I think) December 22nd this year.

    Still, it's only September 23rd. That's three months. No need to panic. Yet.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home